Alleghany Highlands Regional Library • 406 West Riverside St. • Covington, VA 24426 • (540) 962-3321
Library Card Registration
- All residents and property owners in the City of Covington, and the counties of Alleghany and Bath are eligible for a free Library card.
- Individuals residing outside of these areas may purchase a membership for $10 per year, or $5 for up to 3 months.
- Individuals under the age of 18 must have a Parent/Guardian with a card as a Responsible Party.
- All patrons must provide identification with name and current address. Acceptable forms of identification are:
- Drivers license
- Utility Bill
- Checks or bank statements
- Lease or rent receipt
- Tax assessment
- Voter registration card
- Change of address form from DMV
- Non-residents must provide both local and permanent addresses.
Using a Library Card
- Library cards must be presented to check out materials or use a public computer.
- Lost cards should be reported promptly. Replacement cards may be purchased for $1.
Checkout limits on Library Materials
- Residents: 5 DVDs, 5 audiobooks, 10 magazines, unlimited books.
- Yearly non-residents: a total of 10 items at a time, which may include up to 5 DVDs or audiobooks, or 10 magazines.
- Temporary patrons (up to 3 month cards): a total of 2 items at a time.
Most materials circulate for 4 weeks. Book Club Selections circulate for 1 week. New Books and all DVDs circulate for 2 weeks.
- Holds may be placed on most materials using the online catalog or by contacting the Circulation Desk.
- Notifications will be sent via telephone, email, or SMS text message.
- Holds must be picked up within 3 days of notification.
Returning Library Materials
- Patrons may return all books to the Circulation Desk book drop during operating hours.
- Audio/Visual and Book Drop depositories are located to the left of the front doors for after hours drop-off.
- Library materials placed in the outside book drop before operating hours will be checked in as of the last day the Library was open.
- Adult, YA hardcover, audiobooks: $.10 per day per item
- Children's books, paperbacks, and magazines: $.10 per day per item
- DVDs: $1.00 per day per DVD
Fine limits are $4 per item for books and $5 per item for DVDs
**Library privileges may be revoked if fines are not paid promptly!!**